[PD] symbol anxiety

Mathieu Bouchard matju at artengine.ca
Mon Feb 23 20:12:38 CET 2009

On Mon, 23 Feb 2009, Phil Stone wrote:

> Just to see the magnitude of the issue, I made a little test patch
> (attached) called [symbol_pig].  It just creates symbols, very fast.  A
> very rough measurement based on watching resident memory increasing in
> bash's top command indicates that (on OS X 10.4), a megabyte is used up
> for approximately every 32,000 symbols.

Each t_symbol is a 12-byte malloc (double that in 64-bit mode) and another
malloc the size of the text plus one. Malloc overhead varies (as I said in
the previous mail), but if you add 4 bytes and round to the next multiple
of 16, that's almost the least RAM a malloc-function can use up for your
malloc. So, 16+16=32 bytes per small symbol, that makes a megabyte.