[PD] symbol anxiety

Roman Haefeli reduzierer at yahoo.de
Mon Feb 23 23:56:00 CET 2009

On Mon, 2009-02-23 at 13:55 -0800, Phil Stone wrote:
> Frank Barknecht wrote:
> > Hallo,
> > Phil Stone hat gesagt: // Phil Stone wrote:

> >> I've pondered this, and can't figure out what you mean, unless you're
> >> suggesting having 60 canvases, one for each possible number?
> >>

> > No, only two canvases, one for minutes, one for seconds. See
> > attachment. This way you only ever generate 60 different symbols. As
> > existing symbols are reused, your memory usage doesn't grow after
> > that.
> >

> Oh!  Very good.  I didn't realize that an identical symbol would get
> re-used.  For completeness' sake, I will make a new [ps-stopwatch] that
> does not leak (and is plain vanilla, to boot).

concerning symbol table pollution, it is probably the best strategy to
use messages of the form 'list do this and probably that' instead of
'symbol do-this-and-probably-that', and to use a single global [send
GLOBAL] and route all messages accordingly :

[r GLOBAL]

[route do]

[route this]

[route and]

etc.

this way you can pass a very big number of messages around to a big
number of receivers without really polluting the symbol table.

roman