[PD] symbol anxiety

Mathieu Bouchard matju at artengine.ca
Tue Feb 24 06:57:39 CET 2009

On Mon, 23 Feb 2009, Frank Barknecht wrote:
> Phil Stone hat gesagt: // Phil Stone wrote:
>> bash's top command indicates that (on OS X 10.4), a megabyte is used up
>> for approximately every 32,000 symbols.
> So you can generate 128 million different symbols with a 4 GB RAM
> machine. :)

Not quite. Past 2 GB RAM you will get into segmentation problems... I
don't know where exactly, as I'm still running with 0.25 GB. I think I was
told it was somewhere between 3 GB and 3.5 GB... at least part of the
address-space is reserved as kernel-space, part of it is reserved for the
main executable and the dynamic libraries... fortunately, you don't have
memory really specific to the stack, as stack+heap are one pool where heap
grows from the start and stack grows from the end.

So you probably can't go much farther than 96 million different symbols
unless you run it in 64-bit mode. :)