[PD] pd and tcp: what to do against crashes?

Martin Peach martin.peach at sympatico.ca
Tue Feb 24 15:16:09 CET 2009

Roman Haefeli wrote:
> On Mon, 2009-02-23 at 19:05 -0500, Martin Peach wrote:
>> Roman Haefeli wrote:
>>> hey, many thanks! it works. now i wonder, what happens, if the message
>>> is triggered: 'tcpserver_send_buf: client 1 not writeable'. does that
>>> indicated, that the buffer is cleared? does it mean, that when this
>>> message appears, that at least one message didn't come through?
>>>
>> Right now it means that the message is dropped. I can't see a way of
>> holding on to it that wouldn't end up crashing Pd eventually if you keep
>> sending to an unconnected client.
>
> do i understand correctly, that if the buffer is full, there is a time
> limit for it to become emptied and if it is not emptied in that given
> time interval, the content is cleared? if this is true, i think, the one
> second interval is way to short. for instance, if a state dump happens
> in netpd (probably several hundred messages), it could well be, that the
> connection is not fast enough send enough messages in the given time, so
> they would be dropped. i guess, for my on practice, i change the code to
> use a much longer time interval.

But then it would hold up the whole process for even longer.

> what is not solved yet: similar to the previous version, a drop-out
> occurs, whenever a buffer overrun happens. unlike before, it is not
> possible, that pd hangs forever anymore (it will only hang at most for
> the given time limit), but there is still no mechanism provided to
> generally avoid drop-outs.

Better to have it output a message immediately that states it is unable
to deliver the data.

>>> somehow i need to design netpd in way, that as soon as one single
>>> message is lost, the connection should be shut down and established
>>> again, and the client should then again sync with other clients.
>>> otherwise very bad things could happen (patches are not transmitted
>>> completely and loading incomplete patches causes pd crashing).
>>>
>> Well the easiest thing would be to have [tcpserver] close the connection
>> itself when that happens.
>
> it's just too easy to trigger that. i think, it would lead to too many
> unwanted disconnects.
>
>>  The next best would be to have it output a
>> message on a 'status' outlet that you could use to close the connection.
>
> personally, i find this the much better idea.

Yes, I'm gonna work on that.

>>> before the change i could be sure, that either all messages came through
>>> or the server crashed at some point, if messages could not be delivered.
>>> now, since the server doesn't crash anymore, i need to know, if messages
>>> were dropped. how can i know?
>
>> At the moment it prints to the Pd window, which isn't much use for
>> control purposes. As I said, for me the easiest and most logical thing
>> is to have the connection closed automatically, but then you have to
>> keep track of the connection count to know whether it happened.
>> What do you think?
>
> without knowing how hard it would be to implement, the best solution IMO
> (and the only one, that addresses all of above issues) would be, if the
> whole buffering would happen in the pd patch itself, so that the patch
> could adapt itself to the current network conditions. translated into
> features, this would mean, that [tcpserver] needs to provide information
> about its inner buffer state. the most simple and probably most
> effective thing i can think of, would be an additional outlet, that
> sends a bang every time, when the inner buffer is completely emptied. i
> don't know, if it has several buffers, one for each client; if so, then
> probably a number (socket number) would be more appropriate than a bang.
> this way, a patch can send only as many messages, as the bandwidth
> allows. also it would give the possibility to the patch to decide, what
> time interval of not being able to send messages is appropriate to shut
> down the connection. the time interval could be dynamically set without
> the need to change the code of [tcpserver].

The buffer is maintained by the TCP stack. There is no way of knowing if
it is empty, only if it can accept more.

> i see, that implementing those features would make the use of and the
> programming around [tcpserver] much more complex, although it would make
> it much more powerful. personally, i am all for giving the most control
> to the patch programmer, since i believe, that only then pd can be used
> for robust programming. it's probably a matter, if someone sees pd as a
> fully featured programming language or rather as a tool for fast
> prototyping or a 'quick hacking-together' à la 'reaktor'. both
> expectations are valid, but speaking for myself, i never found, that
> things were _too_ low-level in pd.
> [tcpserver] is actually a good example for explaining what i mean: it
> was originally designed to tranport streams of data between the server
> and clients. in order to transport packet oriented protocols,
> [tcpserver] would have needed to be adapted accordingly, while each
> protocol would have required its own code. the fact, that i can do all
> that in pd, let's me implement those protocols, that i personally need
> (without touching the code of [tcpserver]). this way, i can expand the
> functionality of [tcpserver] myself. the same would go for [tcpserver]
> providing more info about its inner state: it enables the patch
> programmer to design a server around it for very particular needs.
>
> this is what i think. sorry, that got quite long again.
>
> what do you think?

Yes, I agree. I think a status outlet on the [tcpserver] could be
extended later to have more messages. Some of the stuff that gets
printed to the Pd window could go there and then it could be handled by
the patch instead of the 'operator'. I don't want to keep adding more
outlets, so it would output lists with a selector, like [comport].

Martin