[PD] pd on Ubuntu 64bit?

Claude Heiland-Allen claudiusmaximus at goto10.org
Fri Feb 27 15:11:52 CET 2009

IOhannes m zmoelnig wrote:
> #if (defined __x86_64__) && (defined PD_MAJOR_VERSION && defined
> PD_MINOR_VERSION) && (PD_MAJOR_VERSION > 0 || PD_MINOR_VERSION > 41)

Shouldn't it be >= 41 there?

Also, why checking for 64bit when the new interface is the same in 32bit Pd?

> it's so strikingly similar that i even wondered whether i had copied the
> code from you (but honestly, i cannot remember having done so).

I think it's just the obvious way of doing things...

> apart from that, why do you explicitely not support PD_MAJOR_VERSION!=0?

I figure that pd-1.0 is so far away, and that things will probably
change a great deal before then, that it's safer.  Who knows whether
pd-0.41 will compile with TCL/Tk 8.7, so why check for it in configure?

Inspiration for this philosophy comes from the Haskell Package Version
Policy, where major numbers indicate incompatible API changes and minor
versions indicate bug fixes, and dependencies should be specified using
a closed range to avoid massive breakage and confusion when APIs change
in the future.

http://haskell.org/haskellwiki/Package_versioning_policy

Claude
--