[PD] pd and tcp: what to do against crashes?

Roman Haefeli reduzierer at yahoo.de
Mon Mar 2 00:52:04 CET 2009

On Sun, 2009-03-01 at 17:01 -0500, Martin Peach wrote:
> So I added a [clientbuf( message to [tcpserver] to get/set the size of
> the send buffer. Apparently the actual buffer will be twice this size.

when i set the buffer to 10, i get a message:
tcpserver_buf_size: client 1 set to 2048

when no cable is plugged in, pd blocks after the second 8-byte message,
so i guess, that real client buffer is 10 and not 2048.

> I'm still looking for a way to know if the buffer is so full that any
> further data will block.

it seems, that it would be more elegant to know, when it is empty. i
think this is more useful, since then you know that you can send a
message, which is <= buffersize without blocking pd. otoh, when you
know, that it is almost full, then it is more likely to overrun the
buffer with a big message.

> It seems that even if the select() call returns
> OK there still may not be enough room for any arbitrary length of data.
> Probably I need to set the sockets to nonblocking.

what does that mean: setting sockets to non-blocking? will this cause
the sockets to simply ommit data, that cannot be sent in time?
if so, i think, that would be the worst solution of all.

roman