[PD] strange wave

Hans Roels hans.roels at versateladsl.be
Mon Mar 2 19:23:42 CET 2009

Hello,

Sometimes when I record audio in Pd, a wave file is created that Pd
can't open or play. If I try to open this wave file in an other audio
program like Audacity, this is also impossible. VLC player does play
the file though and when I open this file in Samplitude a message
"file does not contain sample data" appears but I can open the file.
If I resave it in Samplitude it can be opened in Pd. I guess
something is wrong in the headers of the wave file that Pd creates.
In attach is a short example of such a 'strange' wave file.  I hope
that somebody can see what is wrong in this file...
There is still something very 'shaky' in the 'writesf~ ' object in
Pd, I guess about 25% of the times I try to record something, I have
this kind of problem. An other problem that sometimes occurs is that
only a file with a name is created but without actual sampledata (and
this isn't caused because I don't leave any time between the 'open'
and 'start' command for 'writesf'). I haven't succeeded in isolating
the exact problem yet but I'm trying... (I think it has something to
do with using 'writesf' in an abstraction).

I 'm working on Windows XP and this problem occured in Pd 0.40.3 and in 0.42-4.

Hans R