[PD] SQLite3DBv0.03

Mike McGonagle mjmogo at gmail.com
Mon Mar 2 19:36:28 CET 2009

So, then do you think it would be better to link up to the system
version? Or should I have it statically compile everything together
into the external? While I don't know how large it is on Linux, but
the Mac external (with the SQLite Amalgamated compile into the
external) is about 660K.

I have had the discussion with many people who "advocate" Linux about
how "user friendly" it really is, and something tells me that this
'and just do another "make pd_linux"' might not be what we want for
NON-Technical users. I mean, so far there appears to be a few people
who are interested in using this, but because there is no make file,
they have not been able to try this.

Mike

On Mon, Mar 2, 2009 at 12:21 PM, Frank Barknecht <fbar at footils.org> wrote:
> Hallo,
> Mike McGonagle hat gesagt: // Mike McGonagle wrote:
>
>> Thank you very much for the Linux Makefile. While I don't have access
>> to a machine right at the moment, from reading this, it appears that
>> this is set up to link to an SQLite3 LIBRARY file, right? If that is
>> the case, the way that I am doing this on the Mac is to compile the
>> object code of the compiled SQLite code, I am not linking to a library
>> object.
>>
>> I pretty much do that because the Mac uses SQLite for a LOT of system
>> things, and I have heard that there can be some issues with updating
>> the Library object for SQLite on your system, and then the Mac does
>> one of it "auto updates", finds that the SQLite object file is
>> DIFFERENT than the one currently installed, and then will overwrite
>> the NEWER version you just compiled, with the older library object.
>
> It's true, my Linux makefile links to the system wide version of sqlite3
> and thus requires that and its -dev(el) headers installed. While it can
> happen that the distribution's package managers install versions that
> are newer/incompatible to the one you are using with the Pd library, we
> Linux users don't care too much and just do another "make pd_linux". ;)
>
> But my main reason was that I'm not good at writing makefiles at all so
> I just copied the standard snippet over with as little changes as
> possible. I only removed the -Werror (there is one warning when
> compiling which breaks on Linux) and added the library linking with
> -lsqlite3.
>
> Ciao
> --
> Frank

W. C. Fields  - "I never drink water because of the disgusting things
that fish do in it."