[PD] pd and tcp: what to do against crashes?

Martin Peach martin.peach at sympatico.ca
Tue Mar 3 00:51:17 CET 2009

Roman Haefeli wrote:
> On Sun, 2009-03-01 at 22:53 -0500, Martin Peach wrote:

>> So I made [tcpserver] send the messages one byte at a time. This latest
>> version should not block, since it adds only one element to the buffer
>> for each select call that says the buffer is still writeable.
>
> can you tell me something about how to use it correctly? i just compiled
> the newest version and still could prevent it from blocking pd. before
> the blocking happens, i do _not_ get any message from the new outlet
> from [tcpserver], such as 'sent 0'. so what happens is still, that i
> send messages to it until it blocks. is it different on windows? do you
> mind sending me a windows binary, if it is?
> is there anything i can do in terms of testing on linux?

Sorry, there was a bug in it so it was staying in the send loop even
though it couldn't send. I fixed it in the latest svn. When I use it, if
I set the buffer size to 10 I can send 4 messages of 3 bytes after
unpluggng the cable, but the last 'sent' says that only 2 bytes were
transmitted. Subsequent attempts give 0. After a few seconds I also get
a message saying the connection was terminated. It should work
identically on linux.

Martin