[PD] strange wave

IOhannes m zmoelnig zmoelnig at iem.at
Tue Mar 3 12:40:33 CET 2009

Hans Roels wrote:
> I think/hope that I managed to isolate the problem with writesf~ and
> readsf~. There are two patches in attach that print out every step that
> you take so one can't forget to click 'open' for example, it also
> measures the time between the 'open' and 'start' command. Copy these 2
> patches in the same folder.

the answer is simple: there is a (known) bug in Pd that does not
re-start the dsp-graph in some situations when live-patching.
i think there is at least 1 bug-report in the sf bug-tracker.

so what happens here is: after you have started the dsp you create [rec]
but for whatever reasons, the dsp-graph is not updated and thus your
[writesf~] is not working at all.

you can test this by:
adding [env~] plust floatatom to [osc~] in your [rec] patch. save it.
then re-start Pd, open main.pd, create [rec], open it up and
lo-and-behold, the numberbox might still show 0 (and is not updated by
[env~])

workaround: manually restart the dsp after you have dynamically created
an object: [loadbang]->[; pd dsp 0; pd dsp 1(

fgnmasdr
IOhannes