[PD] evaluate 3d iterative structures

Mathieu Bouchard matju at artengine.ca
Tue Mar 3 16:01:03 CET 2009

On Tue, 3 Mar 2009, simeon cosik wrote:

> Hello, how can i evaluate 3d structures generated in puredata to know if
> it can support itself if i build it in reality? for example imagine that
> each structure is conformed by a group of boxes one over the others made
> with "repeat",i would like to add gravity and weight to all the boxes so
> i can i calculate the threshold that i need to maintain in order to
> avoid the collapse of my structure. Is this can be done with pmpd? Any
> idea?

You would need to remake your patch to also work without GEM, or find a
way to download the geos from GEM.

One way to make such a "dual-output" patch, is to make it as an
abstraction, taking an argument that selects the library it is going to
use. suppose your patch is called mymodel.pd:

[mymodel]            would use GEM
[mymodel gemdump/]   would use a library called gemdump/

Then within that patch, you would prefix every geo and every geo
transformation by $1, such as [$1rotateXYZ]. After that you'd have to make
a somewhat complex abstraction library that could dump all the
coordinates.

Actually, this pattern (of switching libraries) is very useful, but in
this case, it may be too hard, so if I were you, I'd first look for
something that can download the geos from the video card, and if I don't
find any, I'd make that GEM emulation library that would give me all
vertices and edges.