[PD] Pd seriell printers

Mathieu Bouchard matju at artengine.ca
Tue Mar 3 15:53:34 CET 2009

On Tue, 3 Mar 2009, brandt at subnet.at wrote:

> Does anybody Know how to control a dot matrix printer troughout the
> seriell port

First you need to install the [comport] class or any equivalent. It's best
to use my hacked version because none of the other versions can't handle
flow-control properly.

Second you need to figure out the wire protocol. Serial port is called
serial port because it's using the RS-232 protocol, but this protocol has
many variants and they are not autodetected. For example, you may have to
say: speed 9600 bits/second, 8 data bits per byte, 1 stop bit per byte, no
parity, CTS/RTS flow-control.

Third you need to figure out the application protocol. The printer's
manual may say, for example, that it's an Epson-compatible printer, or it
may have a switch between Epson-compatible and a different mode. Old
manuals often give you a list of all commands you can do on that printer,
especially because they often offer extensions to the standard protocol
they are basing themselves on, or sometimes because they have a completely
different protocol.

Most of those printers are based on escape-sequences starting with the
escape-code ("ascii" # 27), which may sound familiar, but those sequences
are not related with any of the screen-and-keyboard escape-sequences
(VT/ANSI) used on BBSes and unix operating systems.