[PD] pd and tcp: what to do against crashes?

Roman Haefeli reduzierer at yahoo.de
Wed Mar 4 01:11:28 CET 2009

On Wed, 2009-03-04 at 00:45 +0100, Roman Haefeli wrote:

> how do i know, when the [tcpserver] socket is ready to transmit another
> byte? do i have to nag it every ms with a message? if i go the
> BYTE-AT-A-TIME route, the interval would even need to be slower, if
> higher troughput should be achieved. is there any strategy to avoid too
> much overhead?

having thought another two minutes about it, i think i can answer my own
question: i don't need to drip every byte with an interval, but just
fill the buffer completely in zero logical time, then i wait a few
miliseconds, then i do it again. depending on the wait time, the
connection bandwidth and the buffersize, the buffer will be filled again
before it completely got empty. this way the maximum available bandwidth
can be exploited, when necessary, without having to penetrate
[tcpserver] too much with 'buffer still full?' messages.

martin, would you mind implementing similar changes to [tcpclient] as
well?

roman