[PD] httpget: fun with tcpclient and pdstring

Mathieu Bouchard matju at artengine.ca
Fri Mar 6 04:19:51 CET 2009

On Thu, 5 Mar 2009, Martin Peach wrote:

> Yes it seems to me a string manipulation object like [strncmp] should be able
> to accept symbols, floats, lists of floats, and messages naming arrays, on
> any of its inlets that are meant to accept strings.

By floats, you mean a single float representing a single character? If
not, then I suppose that any string made of individual float messages
would have to be converted to a list of floats first, so that it goes well
with all equivalent forms that use a single message per string.

But now, La Question Qui Tue: if you do a [string append] on two strings
of different format, what should be the format of the output?

Actually, there's another killer question: if you do a [string append] on
two arrays, and that it is agreed that the output should go in an array,
in which array does the output go?

> Maybe it should be [arrble $1( or [tabray $1( so as not to prefer one over
> the other.

The problem with that is that the big-endians will think that "arrble"
connotes racial discrimination in favour of arrays whereas little-endians
will claim that it is "tabray" that is favoured. A more politically
correct way of constructing a new term would be by interleaving the
letters from both words (inspired by INTERCAL), like "atrarbalye" or
"taarbrlaey". This does not really solve the problem but it reduces it by
a large factor so that you can conveniently sweep it under the carpet
without making too much of an unsightly lump. This is the glory of
Psychological Engineering at work.