[PD] list issue

Ichabod ichabod at gmail.com
Fri Mar 6 08:21:11 CET 2009

On Thu, Mar 5, 2009 at 7:29 PM, Mathieu Bouchard <matju at artengine.ca> wrote:

> On Thu, 5 Mar 2009, Jonathan Wilkes wrote:
>
>  Unless you happen to be listening to Carter, Cowell, Ferneyhough,
>> Johnston, Nancarrow, or anyone who has ever happened to use a quintuplet
>> (Chopin, Elvin Jones, maybe Al Pacino in "Heat")

This reminds me, I was just reading The Negative Dialectics of Poodle Play
by Ben Watson, and he quotes an interview with Frank Zappa about his
favorite records:

"'Can I Come Over Tonight' – The Velours. Any musicologist that can find
that record and listen to the bass singer ... he's singing quintuplets and
septulets. And considering where it came from and when it was made (it was
on the East Coast Onyx label) it was amazing."

Judge for yourself: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d-eO1TIgT8A
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6Tn9TONsftM

--Stefan