[PD] list issue

Roman Haefeli reduzierer at yahoo.de
Fri Mar 6 18:43:10 CET 2009

--- Mathieu Bouchard <matju at artengine.ca> schrieb am Fr, 6.3.2009:

> > Unless you happen to be listening to Carter, Cowell,
> Ferneyhough, Johnston, Nancarrow, or anyone who has ever
> happened to use a quintuplet (Chopin, Elvin Jones, maybe Al
> Pacino in "Heat")
>
> I didn't say that quintuplets don't happen!
>
> I'd be glad to get references to specific pieces that
> contain a lot of quintuplets. Of the five composers you
> named, I only heard Nancarrow, I only heard of Nancarrow,
> and then, I don't recall any quintuplets in it, but I didn't
> see the score and perhaps I couldn't grasp the rhythm of it
> just by ear (?).

'the arabian dance' from the nut cracker ballet by tchaikovsky happens to have quintuplets. you can hear the piece here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rx8cCLumV10

listen to the lead melody. sometimes it plays some kind of a slow trill (quickly changing between two close notes), which happen to be quintuplets. i admit, that they sound like a duplet followed by a triplet, but i have the scores of the piece and they are written as quintuplets on 32nd's.

roman