[PD] Turn off Output~ automatically

Frank Barknecht fbar at footils.org
Sun Mar 8 21:26:39 CET 2009

Hallo,
narbino at ucsd.edu hat gesagt: // narbino at ucsd.edu wrote:

> I have multiple output~ in a patch that have 2 number boxes feeding to it,
> and when the numbers are moving the output~ turns on but when the numbers
> are not moving it continues to play the last sound played. How do i turn
> off the sound when the numbers are not moving without having to mute it
> myself?? Thank you.

The [delay] object is nice to monitor something for activity. The basic
idiom goes like this:

     [0 \

     [t b a]
     |     |
     |     [s NUMBER_UPDATED]

     [delay 100]

     [s NUMBER_STOPPED]

On [r NUMBER_UPDATED] you will get updates when the number box is
moving, and if the number box hasn't changed for 100 msec, you will get
a bang to [r NUMBER_STOPPED] that you can use to stop whatever needs
stopping. As long as the number box is changing, you don't get this
bang, because [delay] is a "simple" delay that gets reset every time a
new message comes in. Btw.: [pipe] is not "simple" in this sense - it's
what Miller calls a "compound" delay in his book:
http://crca.ucsd.edu/~msp/techniques/latest/book-html/node48.html
http://crca.ucsd.edu/~msp/techniques/latest/book-html/node49.html

Ciao
--