[PD] documentation sprint WAS: Call for GSoC mentors! March 9th deadline!

Mathieu Bouchard matju at artengine.ca
Mon Mar 9 18:09:12 CET 2009

On Sun, 8 Mar 2009, Hans-Christoph Steiner wrote:

> Yes, that is good.  We could have a documentation sprint at the next
> PdCon. I think we should have something like a 5 hour session where we
> just sit and work on documentation.  We are also trying to organize a
> FLOSSmanuals Pd book sprint, probably NYC, but also other locations as
> well.  The more the merrier!

If this is to be a scheduled sprint, then watch out for the scheduling...
and for any impromptus and accidents.

For example, at last convention, all the artist-talks of the exhibition
where scheduled at the same time as the sprint, and all of
DorkBot-Montréal was scheduled at the same time as the sprint as well. I'm
pretty sure I recall that an extra roundtable was improvised at the same
time as the sprint too, which was also at the same time as the artist
talks. It doesn't stop there: in the morning, there was an outage of the
Angrignon line because of a crack in boulevard de Maisonneuve, so all
papers of the morning had to be postponed by over 30 minutes and then you
have to account for the time it takes to walk to SAT, so, in practice, my
last paper overlapped with three other things. To top it off, I discovered
that there was an extra pd performance (by Sylvie Chénard) that was
completely outside of the convention, and to walk there in time I had to
leave before the scheduled end of the sprint.

So if you want to get serious work done on the documentation, perhaps you
could stretch some time at the end of the convention while nothing else is
scheduled, or secure enough time for it in the convention, and I mean real
time, not just something happening at the same time as everything else.

Five hours won't be enough, even if the sprint is really sprinting.