[PD] [GEM] pix_video, firewire, and linux ?

adrian goya adrian.goya at gmail.com
Tue Mar 10 19:48:57 CET 2009

Hello to all.

I'm having problems trying to connect a unibrain's fire-i firewire board
camera in GEM. When I send a   [driver 1(    message and then   [device
/dev/video1394/0(   to pix_video i get :

initializing: Inappropriate ioctl for device

If I send [driver 0(   message I get

get capabilities: Inappropriate ioctl for device

The camera works under coriander no problem. I use it with openFrameworks
also. It doesn't work with dvgrab.  http://www.unibrain.com/Products/Vision
… e_i_BC.htm <http://www.unibrain.com/Products/VisionImg/Fire_i_BC.htm>

A sony minidv firewire camera does work with pix_video however.

Since my Debian system is a mess I downloaded pure:dyne's leek and potato to
test the camera and had the same results. The miso version gave the same
results.

Does anyone have any idea how to fix this? I've searched the mail archives
and every resource I could think of. I'm new to linux so maybe I'm missing
some basic stuff. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Debian lenny/sid. Kernel 2.6.24

thankyou.