[PD] default [output~] in Pd-extended

Hans-Christoph Steiner hans at eds.org
Tue Mar 10 23:27:07 CET 2009

On Mar 10, 2009, at 2:50 PM, Steffen Juul wrote:

> On 10/03/2009, at 18.11, Hans-Christoph Steiner wrote:
>
>> (...) and the green/white toggle from [pddp/dsp].
>

> I quite strongly think [cvn]'s tricks should be avoided in help
> patches, especially those default for vanilla objects.
>
> Reason being it took me quite some time before i got heads and tails
> of it. Before that, it was a total mystery. Such mysteries are bad
> for learning since it may well obstruct learning of basic things.
> There is enough syntax to get into when starting to learn Pd.

I agree that the patch should be conceptually simple, but usability is
also a concern.  Many newbies are hung up because they can't get the
example patches to do anything.  A lot of the time, that's because
they haven't turned up the audio.  If it is encapsulated in an object,
then the complexity is hidden until you want to see it.  Same idea
with a osc~.  The osc~ C code is far more complex.

                             kill your television