[PD] GEM on Linux netbook

Ben Baker-Smith bbakersmith at gmail.com
Wed Mar 11 16:58:54 CET 2009

I currently use a Macbook (OS 10.5) for all my PD patching.  However, as I
am primarily focused on using GEM for live video performance alongside
musical groups, I am thinking about getting a second laptop for performances
(to keep my Macbook safe).

I'm thinking of getting an Acer Aspire One netbook running linux.

I'd like to know the pros and cons of this.

-Will swapping patches between Mac OS and Linux be a problem (I'm guessing
no, but I figured I'd ask)?

-I've heard of some problems with VGA out on Linux laptops, is this going to
be an issue?

-Does the netbook have enough processing power for general GEM
applications?  I'm usually not dealing with video files, but rather particle
generation, shape manipulation, GIF texturing, and audio-response.  On my
Macbook (2.0 GHz intel processor) the CPU meter always shows below 50% usage
(of course, that's not to say that it doesn't freeze up and boot me out
sometimes).

-Are there any other issues that you think of given this scenario?  and if
so, what other affordable/really-cheap laptops are there out there that I
can run linux on?