[PD] self-modifying and dynamic patching

Phil Stone pkstone at ucdavis.edu
Wed Mar 11 20:27:24 CET 2009

Hi Derek,

Maybe a very simple example would be good.  I have an Ozone
MIDI-controller, and it has eight knobs, which send out continuous
controller data on 8 different MIDI CC numbers.  Now, [ctlin] (MIDI
control input) doesn't have settable arguments -- only creation args.,
so I racked my brains trying to figure out how to make an object that
would take a knob number argument, 1-8, convert that number to the
corresponding controller number, and watch that controller number with
[ctlin].

(Admittedly, it would have been easy to create [Ozknob1]...[Ozknob8]
objects, but this reeked of kludge to my sensibilities; neither did I
consider it elegant to use a [ctlin] for each knob that watched *all*
controller data, then [route]d the data from the desired control number
-- I wanted the pre-filtering to be done by [ctlin], if possible).

The more generalized problem is this: take a creation argument of an
abstraction, *do something with it*, then get it into the creation
argument of a contained abstraction.

Nothing I tried worked, until I took the attached dynamic approach.

Phil Stone
www.pkstonemusic.com