[PD] self-modifying and dynamic patching

Phil Stone pkstone at ucdavis.edu
Thu Mar 12 17:01:57 CET 2009

Good point; I assume you're going to emphasize the pitfalls of dynamic
patching while you're at it, Derek?  I have a habit of opening up
patches to see how they work, and if I can't read them because they're
too messy, I'll move stuff around.  This is fine, unless it's a dynamic
patch and I hit "ctrl-s" without thinking.  D'oh!  The initial state of
a dynamic patch is critical to its correct function, and one has to
think very carefully before saving changes.  I think I'm going to
develop the habit of putting a large warning comment on any
self-modifying patch.

Phil