[PD] Call for GSoC mentors! March 9th deadline!

Enrique Erne enrique at netpd.org
Fri Mar 13 18:12:28 CET 2009

hi Kyle

i love the idea of a Classic Unit Library (CUL?)
BBB - Beginners Building Blocks
WSP - (Where to Start with Pd)
WSP - warm swimming pool :)

for me the first step would be to write some specs:
- coding style guide (who did it? luke?), license, naming convention,
howto contribute
and also analyze existing libs: pdmtl, rjlib maybe you could even just
build on them?

i'd like to see the WSP Lib:
- bsd
- flat
- super simple black&white interfaces
- as pure as possible
- a minimum of possible dependencies
- not gopish ?
- howto contribute?
- with self explaining naming?

i'm just about to upload my zipped netpd directory.
http://netpd.org/eni/downloads/?C=M;O=D
(8.9MB because there are some samples)

eni

Kyle Klipowicz wrote:
> How about this project:
> Beginners Building Blocks.
>
> Right now, If I want to even make a simple sine oscillator synth with an
> ADSR envelope on it, it's not very easy to do out of the box. What if there
> were some entry-level abstractions in a very OBVIOUS location that people
> could instantly piece together some classic Unit Generators. Important for
> these would be the ability to copy/paste items from a main page of
> abstractions. Also, they should have a simple GUI interface, and possibly be
> set up automatically to use SSAD.
>
> I'm thinking stuff like:
>
> -basic envelope generators
> -basic oscillators (bandlimited ones would be nice): sine, square, triangle,
> sawtooth
> -basic i/o that is more intuitive to newbies
> -basic sample players (one shot, looping, pitch shifting, multi-sample a la
> fluidsynth)
> -basic MIDI controller mapping tools (so people could just twist a knob to
> assign a parameter)
> -basic step, piano roll, &c sequencers
> -basic pitch/rhythm analysis (wrappers for sigmund~, fiddle~, and bonk~)
> -basic modular counters
> -an extensive collection of examples using these objects, documenting
> parameters, as well as ways to connect and/or modify and save new versions
> of objects using SSAD
> -video stuff would also be great, something akin to a freshened up
> PixelTango.
>
> Anyway, I just thought these things would be really nice to have in an
> accessible place in Pd-extended. Because right now whenever I just want to
> make something very simple, i end up having to click a mouse about 200 times
> which is annoying and makes me worried about RTS!
>
> Pd and Pd-extended are so difficult to navigate for newbies. There need to
> be more "pick up and go" audio tools. I'm thinking of how Reaktor and
> Max/MSP are so easy to dive into. Pd is a lot like a cold cold ocean whereas
> the other two are nice warm swimming pools. Pd is deeper and more exciting
> by far, but you can get swept away in an undertow never to return!
>
> This project could be accomplished by merging elements from NetPd, Pdmtl,
> and various slick patches made by the resident list geniuses. (Another thing
> about NetPd if Roman and Eni are listening: can you make a tar.gz or zip
> download of ALL current NetPd patches? I hate having to download 30+ items
> one at a time. RTS fears again!)
>
> So there's my way more than 2 cents. Take what you will from it.
>
> ~Kyle
>

> On Sun, Mar 8, 2009 at 2:53 PM, Hans-Christoph Steiner <hans at eds.org> wrote:

>>> yo, i am happy to add my name, but i guess it only makes sense for
>>> me to
>>> take a mentorship of a project, that is about patching and not c
>>> coding.
>>> from what i have seen, there is only one project - undead - which