[PD] Unified Library was Re: Call for GSoC mentors! March 9th deadline!

hard off hard.off at gmail.com
Sun Mar 15 18:00:26 CET 2009

>>But I think that we don't really know well enough how to do the whole
thing right<<

i have good experience in doing a library wrong. :)  i can at least point
out the flaws in that so they don't get repeated.

none of the libraries are very good general all-purpose toolkits though, in
my opinion.  i guess that's mainly because none of them have really been
designed as general toolkits.  there is heaps of good stuff in rjdj, but
it's all for the phone, which has no pd GUI component.  netpd on the other
hand, everything has a gui, and it's all designed to work well as a part of
the netpd system.  but it's a little bit tricky to then use the netpd
patches outside of netpd.  not really spent too much time with pdmtl, but
that just seems like more of a collection of patches than an actual library.
s-abstractions and the diy library i did both fall down a bit for me because
they tie the functionality of the patches in too much with the gui and state
saving.

i think what hans is talking about and what we are discussing might be
completely different things though.  i think hans is talking about a truly
unified library to join together all the different pieces in pd-extended and
put them all together in a logical and user-friendly manner.  which would be
a pretty massive project, i admit.

i think though, what we're talking about here is more just like a collection
of tools to build synths, sequencers, effects, samplers, recorders,
soundfile players, etc etc etc.  most of the libraries already mentioned are
doing that.  but the problem is that there are no unified conventions for
patching, naming, licencing, etc.  and it would be nice to have all the best
and most useful bits of each library in one place, all working together, and
all very simply and easily ported into other pd projects.

i think it's well within our reach to do that at the moment.