[PD] Mouse Control...

Simon Ball sballmada at googlemail.com
Mon Mar 16 13:53:18 CET 2009

Hi there

I'm having trouble realising an idea. I've got the software running (mac
book pro) and managed to play with some of the examples, however I am new to
PD, so bare with me!

I'm trying to generate a composition of images that float in 3D space. I
want the images or layers to move and rotate towards areas of a screen where
movement is detected. I don't need to track specific points of motion,
simply to judge where movement is taking place. I think this will involve
reading frames and analysing changes in pixels. Does that make sense?

I plan to use a mini DV camera to run this, on a high contrast background,
although I've seen a similar method of recording movement with a webcam and
processing, which worked pretty well. (
http://vimeo.com/1948430?pg=embed&sec= - tracks changes in pixels, although
I'm not sure how).

I assume that this will involve some sort of trigonometry to move images
towards points where motion is detected, although I'm not sure how to apply
this in PD. Also, how to I generate a floating effect, much like 'easing'
does in animation software. And can this work with 3D, mapped images in PD?

I hope thats clear, if a little broad, let me know you need any further
info.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions/solutions.

Simon

Simon Ball