[PD] Pd book sprint in NYC/Berlin

dmotd dmotd at gmx.net
Mon Mar 16 14:29:16 CET 2009

i am really unsure what you are talking about.. a meeting is what it is, and
the medium will never dictate what you are talking about and the intensity
with which it is conducted.. perhaps face to face contact is good for
watching the iris quiver and building a psychological profile based on that
particular interaction, but really the amount of focus and dedication that
anyone gives to a subject is dependent on variables that are quite out of
control to other participants.

in terms of multi-tasking... i am usually engaged on a number of things in any
given time period.. what at least is consistent about IRC is that i can chose
to focus on any given problem without having to make myself publically
withdrawn from the discussion, and in such a circumstance i have a log to
refer to what i have missed..

which leads me to my final point.. i have a log.. which everyone does, without
transcription, without poor pronunciation and bad language getting in the
way.. easy to archive and so on..

i have no real interest in the topic, but i have been a particpant in
enough 'online meetings' to know that video conferencing is a complete waste
of time, beyond the initial distraction of connectivity issues..

if people have something valid to say and real-time is the only productive
forum then IRC works and works well, otherwise voice probably makes up for
where text lacks, but only in small groups.. video is just an unnecessary and
unproductive formality..

meetings are never as productive as the facilitato