[PD] GEM on Linux netbook

errordeveloper at gmail.com errordeveloper at gmail.com
Tue Mar 17 14:10:01 CET 2009

On Mon, Mar 16, 2009 at 09:18:54AM -0500, Ben Baker-Smith wrote:
> The point of looking into the netbook was as an affordable piece of hardware
> that wouldn't cost me as much to replace if it got busted up / stolen at a
> show.  If I was looking to find the optimal system I would, of course, be
> looking elsewhere.
ah ..well
but may be you could apply other techniques of theft prevention -
like make it look on so shiny - i mean put stickers all over the place ..

> You don't think GEM will run on a netbook? Even if it's got an independent
> graphics card (of course, that kinda squashes the "cheap" factor) ?
> Also, do you have any experience using GEM or are you just hating?
> Sorry, have to ask.  Since you didn't actually offer any advice in your
> response I just don't know.
>
> -Ben
no, i'm really quite an audio person, but i know how much the graphics
take.
there such accelerated video cards that you can plug exteranly -
those machines (like accer one or eeepc) don't have anything apart from
usb (!)
my friend got a decent laptop for graphics (live vj'ing he does) and
that costed hi over a thousand quid (may be even 1500something).
the brand is ROCK (they are no so famoust but apparently very good)
that has got like 1024meg of video ram ;)
you probaly don't need to get something like that unless you really can
aford it ;)
may be you could instead get a cheapish pc (like mini- or pico- ATX) and
install good pic-express graphics card in that ..
also you can make a case like these ones - http://audiopint.org/
that would prevent it from being stolen (presuming that the duedes are
particularly after lappies and such stuff that looks good for a quick
dodgy sale).
yeah.. cause if you consider any other laptop capable for that graphics stuff,
you'd have to go for a big fancy machine (like a one which would suite a
gamer), and that is obviously the winner from the point of view of the
thiefs!

also keep in mind that good graphics need more power and better cooling :)

this looks quite good -

i do look at small boards lately, but the market is too rapid and i'm
not buying one now..
i plan to make some machines like the audiopint dude did ;)

cheers,
hope this helps,
--
ilya d.