[PD] Writing you own externals in PD How to?

Andy Farnell padawan12 at obiwannabe.co.uk
Tue Mar 17 16:32:51 CET 2009

On Tue, 17 Mar 2009 15:52:17 +0100
Nicolas Montgermont <nicolas_montgermont at yahoo.fr> wrote:

> Hello,
>
> If you have the example in faust, there is an online compiler for
> puredata external:
> http://faust.grame.fr/compiler.php
> I haven't test it though.

It works very well. Though the question you arrive at is, do
you want to think in Faust's symbolic 'DSP algebra'? It's actually
very elegant, but is a cognitive island (as a further aside,
it is easier to pick up if you already think in dataflow). The problem
is, ordinary C and C++ code isn't easy to integrate. The code generated by
the filter is tersely optimised.

A temporary happy solution is to use Faust's Pd arch filter to make
some ready made wrappers. Then just drop C/++ code into the main loop.
It gets around the chores of building a Pd external from scratch each time.

But, if you are going to start doing that sort of thing, that's
what Flext is supposed to be for, though it doesn't quite work out as
easy as you might hope.

The idea that you can compile for VST, Max, Pd or a standalone
GUI app is very appealing, for both Flext and Faust.

Ultimately, the logical thing is to amplify what Georg says:

Develop in Pd. For a vast majority of DSP development Pd with
variable blocksize is a perfect tool if you could only work in
dataflow THEN: hit "compile"

****** Pd should be able to compile its own externals *******

then you'd get an external built from a properly componentised pdlib
that you can immediately include into the running patch (no having to exit
Pd to flush cached classes), just continue building abstraction
upon abstraction (as compiled code) this way.

A nice example of this would be building filters like biquad
starting with just [+~], [*~] and [z~]. Then in the second round
using them to make a synthesiser. Then in the third round using
those to make a stand alone musical application ... all in a days
development!

as Bill Hicks would say... "just planting seeds...."

--
Use the source