[PD] GEM on Linux netbook

martin brinkmann mnb at martin-brinkmann.de
Tue Mar 17 16:46:31 CET 2009

Ben Baker-Smith wrote:

> -Does the netbook have enough processing power for general GEM
> applications?  I'm usually not dealing with video files, but rather particle
> generation, shape manipulation, GIF texturing, and audio-response.  On my
> Macbook (2.0 GHz intel processor) the CPU meter always shows below 50% usage

i think you can expect a pd patch wich runs at 50 percent on a 2 ghz
dualcore machine, to use about 200 precent on the atom-cpu.
my patches which need about 60 percent on my old pentium m, 1.4 ghz,
use 130 percent on the a110.

> -Are there any other issues that you think of given this scenario?  and if
> so, what other affordable/really-cheap laptops are there out there that I
> can run linux on?

i would try to get a used intel notebook, if (small) size does not
matter that much, and google if it is known to run linux well.

bis denn!
	martin