[PD] Unified Library was Re: Call for GSoC mentors! March 9th deadline!

Frank Barknecht fbar at footils.org
Wed Mar 18 10:41:49 CET 2009

Hallo,
Enrique Erne hat gesagt: // Enrique Erne wrote:

> could you explain the polyphony example?
>
> doesn't each voice have the same parameter, coming from the gui?

I might want to save settings even though I didn't use a GUI to set
them. Settings don't necessarily come from a GUI.

For example say I use an algorithm to generate settings, or I may
write my settings into a textfile or a message box - there also is no
GUI involved. Settings in Pd however all are manipulated by sending
messages, even GUIs are just a way to generate a message. So the way
to save state in Pd IMO is to intercept message, not to watch GUI
elements.

In regard to polyphony, it's pretty common to duplicate a synth voice
many times, manually or using e.g. polypoly or rjlib's u_makepoly.
There is no need to have a GUI in those hidden objects, but I still
need to access their parameters to set them. So what I need is a way
to peek into the abstraction and eavesdrop their messages.

In rjlib that peeping hole is the rightmost inlet. [sssad] is used in
a wrapper u_dispatch at that inlet that also dispatches messages
coming in to local senders. So the abstractions all know their state
even though most of them don't have a GUI. If I want a GUI, I just
make one that produces messages for the control inlet.

Maybe some OO programming language experts can say smart things about
how this is related to a Model-View-Controller paradigm, where the GUI
elements constitute one of many possible Views, the [textfile] is a
Model and [sssad] is the controller but I'm not good at this stuff.

Ciao
--
 Frank Barknecht            Do You RjDj.me?          _ ______footils.org__