[PD] couldnt create pdp

Hans-Christoph Steiner hans at eds.org
Thu Mar 19 01:27:51 CET 2009

On Mar 18, 2009, at 11:57 AM, Claude Heiland-Allen wrote:

> Hans-Christoph Steiner wrote:
>> Worst comes to worst, Pd and Pd-extended runs best on Debian-based
>> distros like Debian, Ubuntu, pure:dyne, etc.
>> .hc
>
> pd-extended might work on pure:dyne (after all, it's Debian with
> extra packages), but it won't ever be in the live distro, and
> installing it will remove all the supported pd externals from
> pure:dyne (they depend on puredata, which pd-extended conflicts
> with, or should if it has been packaged properly).
>
> One of the main reasonings behind Pd in pure:dyne is to package each
> library on its own, to avoid both the maintenance nightmares of a
> huge package build system and the tricky timing involved to get "all
> externals working at once".  Each package can be tested separately
> and upgraded separately, increasing quality and saving bandwidth.

I think that's the way that Pd-extended should be packaged for Debian
too.  The monolithic package is not a good design, but was easy to
do.  We were talking a while back about merging efforts, I think it
would be great to revisit that discussion.

Then the next step would be getting those packages into Debian.  It
seems Guenter has stopped updating his Debian packages, 'puredata' is
at 0.40.3, pd-externals is no longer in the repo, etc.

> BTW, pure:dyne has packages for pdp + friends, with no
> pdp_metro_setup issue:
>
> $ nm -D /usr/lib/pd/extra/pdp/pdp.pd_linux | grep metro
> 0000f9f0 T pdp_metro_setup
>
> So I guess the original issue is another pd-extended bug.

Yeah, on Fedora only though.  I don't use Fedora at all so I am at a
loss.  PDP works fine in Pd-extended on Ubuntu and Debian.

.hc

> Claude
> --
> http://claudiusmaximus.goto10.org
> http://puredyne.goto10.org

All mankind is of one author, and is one volume; when one man dies,
one chapter is not torn out of the book, but translated into a better
language; and every chapter must be so translated.... -John Donne