[PD] www.pd-tutorial.com

Mathieu Bouchard matju at artengine.ca
Thu Mar 19 18:48:23 CET 2009

On Thu, 19 Mar 2009, Matt Barber wrote:

> mm.  When I was studying music theory we used to reserve "operation"
> for a function that was 1 to 1 and onto; I think that usage has been
> pretty standard in music theory since 1987, through the work of David
> Lewin.  Music theorists often screw up standard math terms though, so
> I never know what to call anything in what company, and always suspect
> it will be meaningless/wrong...  =o)

Yeah, it's a tough problem, and actually mathematicians don't say it as
"operation" so often, and tends to use "operator" with some special
connotations too (but nothing to do with 1-to-1 and onto). It's all a big
mess. No way out but to be more verbose; or else, all agree to rely on a
specific glossary for all that gets said on pd-list (which is not actually
doable...).