[PD] default [output~] in Pd-extended

Hans-Christoph Steiner hans at eds.org
Sun Mar 22 14:41:24 CET 2009

On Mar 21, 2009, at 11:46 AM, Steffen Juul wrote:

> To cut a longer story short:
>
> - No i don't want everyone to live there life linearly. How could
> that at all be assumed. (I rather embrace the opposite.)
>
> - The Pd tutorials that Miller ship with Pd is bottom-up. That is
> the didactic contract with the reader. So if you want a canvas'ified-
> gui-volume-control with such use of canvas with graph-on-parent, it
> need be introduced first. That could be done in the
> "2.control.examples" section.

I used to believe strongly in what you are saying as well, but my
opinion has changed a bit.  I definitely agree that concepts should be
introduced before the are used in the tutorials.

We can also rely on existing knowledge of computers, and GUI elements
are pretty widely understood.  I have seen lots of people who don't
know that they can click and drag in the number boxes.  That's not a
common GUI element outside of Pd.  Buttons and sliders are much more
common, and few people need to have them explained.

So if we are introducing the concept of objects and GUI in Pd, then I
think it is safe to use GOP objects.  After all, we don't expect
newbies to know anything about C or Tcl, but that's under it it all.
I don't think we should add an output~ to help patches that don't
already have them.  I just think we should have a more intuitive and
usable output~.  The current one already uses GOP, so that's not a
change.

"Free software means you control what your computer does. Non-free
software means someone else controls that, and to some extent controls
you." - Richard M. Stallman