[PD] [GEM] pix_video, firewire, and linux ?

IOhannes m zmoelnig zmoelnig at iem.at
Mon Mar 23 12:50:47 CET 2009

IOhannes m zmoelnig wrote:
> Jaime Oliver wrote:
>> have you tried coriander?
>> I know it is the way to make firewire cameras work in linux using
>> libdc, but had no luck interfacing with gem. it is something I've
>> putting off for a while,
>
> it seems like i don't have any device that properly works with coriander.
> however, from what i read, coriander can create a videoloopback device
> which can then be used by Gem as an ordinary "v4l" device.

i finally got hands on a camera that is supported by coriander
("Unibrain Fire-i BCL 1.2"), and it works fine with Gem using coriander
& vloopback.

notes:
  - ubuntu does not come with vloopback modules
  - i was using a ubuntu/intrepid machine which has a 2.6.27 kernel
installed and the debian vloopback-source module is version 1.1 which
does not work with >=2.6.27; i had to install vloopback-1.2 [1] which worked
  - the loopback device is of fixed size and this size somehow does not
get propagated to Gem correctly; i had to manually set the size to the
one i knew i was using (640x480)

mfg.adsr
IOhannes

[1] http://www.lavrsen.dk/twiki/bin/view/Motion/VideoFourLinuxLoopbackDevice