[PD] still struggling with basic understanding of Gem dataflow

John Harrison john.harrison at alum.mit.edu
Tue Mar 24 20:35:21 CET 2009

Attached is a small example patch of how I just don't get Gem...still...

[pix_rtx] has a steady wave that normally flows from left to right.

I would have thought that the attached patch shows me rotating the image
first, then applying [pix_rtx]. So it would stand to reason in my mind I
would see a rotated image with [pix_rtx] flowing from left to right.

But that isn't the result I see. The patch has [pix_rtx] flowing from
right to left now. It is as if [pix_rtx] is applied *before* the
rotation instead of *after* as I would have expected.

Grasping at straws, I have tried [pix_separator] between just about
every object, but that makes no difference.

What am I misunderstanding that makes the behavior of the patch make
sense? And...how would I get [pix_rtx] to flow from left to right on a
mirrored image?

-John

P.S. Are questions like this better on the Gem-dev list? That's a
developer list but at the same time I feel a bit awkward putting too
many Gem questions on a Pd list