[PD] default [output~] in Pd-extended

Hans-Christoph Steiner hans at eds.org
Wed Mar 25 03:37:38 CET 2009

On Mar 24, 2009, at 10:29 PM, Mathieu Bouchard wrote:

> On Tue, 24 Mar 2009, Hans-Christoph Steiner wrote:
>>
>> Should we let snarkiness end this discussion?  I thought it was
>> actually pretty productive til this little bit...
>
> You can still work around my comments, and continue this discussion,
> but what I'm trying to say is that you can't necessarily just wave
> some word like "intuitive" and explain nothing about why you use it
> and expect people to just nod and call it productive.
>
> Go be productive with your intuitivity if you will, but when I make
> a comment like that, it's because I'm concerned that something is
> going the wrong way. I don't mock for the sake of mocking.
>
> If there can't be any disapproval of your ways, then why do you look
> like you want to get some approval at all? You can simply change the
> numberbox in pd-extended so as to suit your fancy and that would be
> the end of the story.
>
> Now if you could simply present your reasons to believe that a
> numberbox may be unintuitive to beginners in a way so significant
> that it warrants avoiding it, ... it sounds curious, so, I'm
> curious. Do you think sliders are nonintuitive as well? Pd's sliders
> are pretty nonstandard as far as UIs go.

I've taught Pd quite a bit at this point, and I have watched many
people not understand the number boxes as a interactive GUI element.
Its based on my experience, that's all.  There is no scientific
process behind it.  It is also based on my experience learning Pd,
back in the day.  I remember it took me a while before I could get the
examples working, and I had been working with Csound, Cmix, MusicKit
and others before, so I was quite familiar with the concepts.

Access to computers should be unlimited and total.  - the hacker ethic