[PD] default [output~] in Pd-extended

Jonathan Wilkes jancsika at yahoo.com
Wed Mar 25 07:51:36 CET 2009

--- On Wed, 3/25/09, Matt Barber <brbrofsvl at gmail.com> wrote:

> From: Matt Barber <brbrofsvl at gmail.com>
> Subject: Re: [PD] default [output~] in Pd-extended
> To: pd-list at iem.at
> Date: Wednesday, March 25, 2009, 5:38 AM
> > Intuition improves itself by learning.
> >

> This is my most beloved pedagogical principle.
>
> I must constantly disabuse my composition students of the
> notion that
> "composing systematically" and "composing by
> ear" are entirely
> different activities, as though "The Ear" were
> totally disconnected
> from "The Mind" (of course, the ear is the more
> romantic homunculus in
> this scenario).

I've never actually heard the phrase "composing by ear."  I have heard composers from a certain generation describe their process as "intuitive," but I've always taken that as code for, "I'm a decent human being, and, unlike some, I won't take the tiny bit of power entrusted to me by this lecture to blather on shamelessly like a used-car salesman in some awful alternate universe where the customer leaves the lot not with a car, but with the memory of a dry, uninspired post-serialist compositional process."

But if you press the "intuitive" composer for some details, I've found they'll usually give them.  And in a clear and concise manner, which is always a bonus.

-Jonathan