[PD] still struggling with basic understanding of Gem dataflow

John Harrison john.harrison at alum.mit.edu
Wed Mar 25 14:07:07 CET 2009

I'm pretty determined to work through this! :-)

I thought I'd write a workaround to keep this conversation moving: My
plan was to write the video to a buffer with [pix_buffer], then read one
frame later and apply [pix_rtx]. I've done this workaround before for
similar situations.

But I got stuck before I even got to [pix_rtx]. Please see the attached
patch.

In the patch you'll see 3 toggles, all of which I would have expected to
show a rotated image textured onto a rectangle. Only one of them does.
They are numbered right to left.

Box 1 shows the output of [pix_buffer_write]. That shows a rotated
image. Fine so far.

Box 2 shows the output of [rotateXYZ] before [pix_buffer_write]. That
shows a rotated white box with no image textured. Why?

Box 3 shows the output of [pix_buffer_read]. That shows an image but no
rotation. Why? This one is especially troublesome to me.

I'm trying to make my questions as specific as possible. Please
understand I have looked at plenty of examples of [rotateXYZ] and I
understand the object and have made full use of it. And I have
previously read about [pix_separator] and know the archives that refer
to it. There's something else going on here about dataflow with Gem that
I don't get. I can make up 10 other examples with 10 other objects if I
have to.

-John

--
John Harrison