[PD] default [output~] in Pd-extended

Mathieu Bouchard matju at artengine.ca
Wed Mar 25 16:44:57 CET 2009

On Sat, 21 Mar 2009, Kyle Klipowicz wrote:

> I took Modern Algebra as my first course in "Higher Math." Big mistake.
> Learning to do proofs this way is a big headache, especially if you have
> a curmudgeonly teacher!

I don't know what kind of prof you had, but Group Theory tends to need
proofs that start from the very scratch. You can hardly skip any step or
make any assumptions. Making proofs at this level is very akin to
programming in low-level languages like machine language and assembly
language: you need to go in the little details, and all you have are
little details put together. Fortunately, other courses (and perhaps other
parts of the same course) are higher-level than that: I don't need to
re-prove every little thing. But it's often not very clear in what level
of detail I have to go. As a really bored student, I constantly tested the
limits of what I can submit in an exam, and I'd say that they were quite
tolerant of my terse proofs.

For your learning process, perhaps it has more to do with the teacher
being curmudgeonly than about the actual topic that you use for learning
how to prove things.