[PD] style guide idea: [send foo] versus [; foo(

Mathieu Bouchard matju at artengine.ca
Wed Mar 25 17:22:36 CET 2009

On Sat, 21 Mar 2009, Frank Barknecht wrote:

> Yeah, lets not turn a style guide into a style law.
> Sometimes crossings are not avoidable indeed.

Well, I don't just mean that. I also mean that sometimes crossings are
clearer than any replacement for them. Often a simple X of wires is much
more expressive than a [s]/[r] pair made only for the sake of following an
unpractically stringent standard about crossings.

> I seem to go like that:
> 1) avoid crossings

Although, when I think my patch is messy, I first try to remove excess
crossings, I can't possibly put avoiding crossings above everything else
all of the time.

You have to make exceptions for what I was calling "cross-connect" and
"side-cross-connect" in PdCon04; that is, respectively, crossing wires
from two outlets of one object to two inlets of another, and from one
outlet of each of two objects, to one inlet of the other. It would look
very silly avoiding that crossing using a [s]/[r] pair. There are other
variations of the same, using more wires. For example, see
seq_fold-help.pd in GridFlow for a version with three wires.

> 3) if you really have to cross over objects, make the patch cords go
>   in straight vertical lines (straight vertical cords are the best cords
>   anyway)
> 4) even then avoid crossing over object inlets or outlets, as it is
>   ambiguous which cords are connected.

I'd put (4) over (3), really.

But those efforts are foiled by font issues and by the fact that Pd never
stores the object width in the case of plain objectboxes. So if you change
the font you can get a different positioning of outlets.