[PD] DIY GSoC: getting those projects done

Mathieu Bouchard matju at artengine.ca
Wed Mar 25 18:01:16 CET 2009

On Mon, 23 Mar 2009, Chris McCormick wrote:

> IIRC, one of their complaints from last year was that our application
> had too many parts. Next time we should pick just one or two specific
> tasks and go with them. Maybe with a community vote or whatever. Also, I
> hate to be cynical, but I can't see any way even remotely in which
> Google could use Pd to make a profit. ;) Thanks for your huge effort
> anyway, Hans and Georg.

It's not just that, it's that Pd is still relatively non-mainstream. I can
imagine plenty (or even most) of programmers being allergic to Pd and
thinking it's messy, difficult to program with, and generally an exercise
in contorsion. I mean, what do you do with a language that has no builtin
[demux] (that's called an if-else anywhere else), in which hot-vs-cold is
troublesome (else [expr] wouldn't be *so* attractive), etc.; if
programmers that don't use pd had a better opinion of pd, some things like
this could have more of a chance. That's when supposing Google is trying
to stay neutral and not selecting for profit. Else it's an ever harder
game, I suppose.