[PD] DIY GSoC: getting those projects done

Mathieu Bouchard matju at artengine.ca
Wed Mar 25 18:08:51 CET 2009

On Tue, 24 Mar 2009, dmotd wrote:

> or perhaps a company that relies so heavily on string manipulation
> considered pd useless? ;)

Yeah. It doesn't even have to be deliberate. A search engine company will
be populated by the kind of computer programmers who are very very
string-centric. Those guys might not even realise that they are being
string-centric. At the other end of the spectrum, Pd users might not
realise how much non-string-centric they are, or even, string-avoidant.

Pd is the most string-averse language I've touched since ColorLOGO:

   http://www.trs-80.com/covers/book-colorlogo(1982)(micropi).jpg

But that was a 8k ROM that also had to implement multithreading from
scratch and had to do graphics and math on a CPU that not only had no FPU
but also no division operator either.