[PD] style guide idea: [send foo] versus [; foo(

Frank Barknecht fbar at footils.org
Wed Mar 25 22:37:33 CET 2009

Hallo,
Mathieu Bouchard hat gesagt: // Mathieu Bouchard wrote:

> Btw, it's in pd/doc/2.control.examples/10.more.messages.pd , and I'd have
> trouble considering anything in that folder as being non-basic.

I must say, when thinking about the time when I learned Pd that there is a lot
to swallow at the beginning. I never could attend a workshop, so I learned by
doing Pd, reading stuff and from help on this list. Now it's easier as there
are many workshops all over, but I guess the "old timers" like me or Hans all
learned Pd without a teacher. And 2.control.examples is not as much fun as
3.audio.examples, so the value of that directory wasn't clear to me immediatly.

But what I did was simple: I read all the docs over and over. Again and again,
and repeated that once every year at least. And with docs I explicitely include
the html-docs, which is something many people seem to skip or only skim through
once.

Just like Hans it took me a while to understand the concept behind semicolon
senders and how they are equivalent to [s something] and how ";pd dsp" is the
same as [s pd] ... But once I got that, it opened up all kinds of neat patching
tricks and made certain things much easier to do and to understand that I was
struggling with before.

Ciao
--
Frank