[PD] Delay effect without clicks

Bjørn Nielsen bjoarn at gmail.com
Thu Mar 26 23:59:06 CET 2009

Hey PD list
This is my first mail to the list and I am a newbie in PD, so please
bear with me.

I am trying to make a patch that simulates the delay effects I use as
a stompbox for my guitar. I.e. a signal delay line, with a parameter
of feedback and a parameter of delay time. While changing the delay
time parameter the ongoing sampled part should change pitch.

My first attempt (as in the attached patch) is to use
delread~/delwrite~, but changing the lenght of the sampled part in
delread~ makes a lot of clicks noises (which can be fun, but not what
I intended) and it do not change pitch. My max/msp friend said I
should instead of clipping the sample, make it run faster. So I tried
to figure if that was possible with delread~, vd~ or using arrays
instead with tabread(4)~, but I have not found the golden key yet.

I would be very happy if somebody could lead me in right direction.
Thanks, Bjørn