[PD] Delay effect without clicks

John Harrison john.harrison at alum.mit.edu
Fri Mar 27 05:34:43 CET 2009

I think what you are talking about is zipper noise --- when you change
the value sent to [vd~] what you are hearing is a discontinuity in the
audio caused by the discontinuity between the new value and the previous
value sent to [vd~]. Smooth your "trip" between the values with [line~].
Try something like this:

delaytime

[$1 100(

[line~]

[vd~ testname]

Play with the 2nd parameter in the message sent to line (shown as 100
above). I don't know how much "doppler effect" you are going to want to
replace your clicks.

-John

Bjørn Nielsen wrote:
> Hey Marius
> Thanks for the quick reply.
>
> I have now tried vd~, but I still encounter clicks noises when I
> change delay time.
>
> audiosignal
> |
> [delwrite testname 2000]
>
> delaytime
> |
>  [sig~]
> |
> [vd~ testname]
> |
> audioout+back to delwrite
>
> Do the click noises has something to do with the samplelength in
> delwrite~? (and can it at all be changed on the fly?)
>
> /Bjørn
>

> On Fri, Mar 27, 2009 at 00:13, marius schebella
> <marius.schebella at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> hi Bjørn,
>> maybe vd~ (variable delay) is what you're looking for?
>> marius.
>>
>> Bjørn Nielsen wrote:
>>
>>> Hey PD list
>>> This is my first mail to the list and I am a newbie in PD, so please
>>> bear with me.
>>>
>>> I am trying to make a patch that simulates the delay effects I use as
>>> a stompbox for my guitar. I.e. a signal delay line, with a parameter
>>> of feedback and a parameter of delay time. While changing the delay
>>> time parameter the ongoing sampled part should change pitch.
>>>
>>> My first attempt (as in the attached patch) is to use
>>> delread~/delwrite~, but changing the lenght of the sampled part in
>>> delread~ makes a lot of clicks noises (which can be fun, but not what
>>> I intended) and it do not change pitch. My max/msp friend said I
>>> should instead of clipping the sample, make it run faster. So I tried
>>> to figure if that was possible with delread~, vd~ or using arrays
>>> instead with tabread(4)~, but I have not found the golden key yet.
>>>
>>> I would be very happy if somebody could lead me in right direction.
>>> Thanks, Bjørn

John Harrison
http://alumni.media.mit.edu/~harrison