[PD] Delay effect without clicks

Roman Haefeli reduzierer at yahoo.de
Sat Mar 28 01:18:24 CET 2009

On Fri, 2009-03-27 at 13:35 +0100, Bjørn Nielsen wrote:
> > from your first email, it sounds like you are expecting a pitch shift. So
> > how does the pitch shift you are hearing differ from what you are expecting
> > i.e. define "weird." I take it you tried different numbers where the 50 is
> > i.e. 500 etc.? Still weird?
>
> Yeah I tried different line ramp numbers, and it change the pitch
> shifting to deeper frequencies the longer the line ramp is. And the
> longer the ramp is it feels more unresponsive, since the long ramp.
>
> But the thing that really differs from an analog delays (with tapes)
> is that it is only changing pitch when you change the delaytime value
> at the same time as a sound come through. If you makes a short note,
> pass it through the delay with a 1sec delay and in the pause between
> to delayed notes change the delay time to 1/2 sec, it won't change
> pitch.

i guess, there is no conceptual difference between analog and digital
delay lines. they both work pretty much the same. while the delay is
changing, there is a pitchshift. probably the only difference between
tape delays and digital delays is, that you probably rather switch
between several playheads instead of changing the position of one
singleplayhead in a tape delay. in digital domain, it is very easy to do
one or the other or both.

however, many tape delays have multiple heads anyway and you can switch
them on and off as you need them. it's not very difficult to do the same
in pd. you just need a [delwrite~] feeding several [delread~]s. you
could also build a pitchshifting-less 'delay switcher' with to
[delread~]s by fading the first [delread~] out, while the second
[delread~] is faded in. so whenever you change delay time, one comes in
and the other fades out, alternatingly.

> The sound while it change pitch do not sound very smoothly. It has a
> definitely digital sound, like a whammy effect. I would like it to
> have as much analog feeling as possible.

if you are decreasing the delay time, the sound is pitched up and
depending on the frequency spectrum of the signal and how fast you
decrease the time, you get more or less aliasing effects.

roman