[PD] agenda for upcoming book sprint?[GEM sprint]

Derek Holzer derek at umatic.nl
Sat Mar 28 11:10:06 CET 2009

Hi Adam,

My thoughts:

1) As HC mentioned, PDP is in Pd Extended already, although it doesn't
always run out of the box on OSX
2) Complete install instructions should include how to get it running on
OSX (X11 must be installed, maybe some other things)
3) PiDiP could be more complicated, as it requires specific versions of
Quicktime and perhaps some other libs, IIRC. Someone would need to check
its dependencies on OSX before writing the install guide. And because
this seems to change often, that person would need to stay on top of
changes which would affect PiDiP's usability. I don't know if this has
been taken account of in Pd-Extended, maybe HC can answer that.
4) Even if PDP is able to run on OSX, it runs very poorly in comparison
to on x86 Linux. It also runs poorly on PPC Linux, dues to its code
being highly optimized for the x86 architecture. This should be
mentioned in the install instructions as well.
5) We'd still need someone to write some useful tutorials. I agree at
need for documentation, as the help files and docs which come with PDP
are some of the most cryptic I've ever seen! PiDiP docs make sense,
OTOH, but some realworld application of some of this stuff would be nice.

---->side note to HC: is X11 a prerequisite for GEM on OSX Pd  Extended
now? I saw some people at my last workshop had some missing libs with
newer Pd Extended installers...

D.