[PD] building vanilla on os x (Was: Re: abs~ and exp~ fixes [was: rjdj])

volker böhm vboehm at gmx.ch
Mon Mar 30 16:31:12 CEST 2009

On 30 Mar 2009, at 14:01, Luke Iannini wrote:
> On Mon, Mar 30, 2009 at 3:52 AM, volker böhm <vboehm at gmx.ch> wrote:

> Hmm.. I build Pd on OS X all the time!  I don't think I've done
> anything special but perhaps I did long ago.  Of course, I don't know
> the process by which Miller assembles the Pd app bundle, but I simply
> build the pd binary and drop it in to the latest Pd.app from Miller's
> site.

aha, that's interesting - thanks, luke, this works indeed!
i'm still on ppc and had to run ./configure with "--disable-fat" to
make the compilation work.
so far so good. i had already found that during my earlier attempts
to build pd.
doing this i end up with
libPdTcl.dylib, pd, pd-watchdog, pd.tk, pdreceive, pdsend
in the /bin folder.

BUT i wrongly assumed, i could start pd on osx just (as under linux)
directly from the bin folder by typing ./pd
this turned out to not work, giving me a pd window, but a
nonfunctional app (menus not filled, no reaction to key strokes,
indicating "wish" instead of "pd" etc.).

but replacing the pd bin in an old application bundle by the freshly
compiled pd binary did the trick.
(and now abs~ is performing fine!)

actually i have just tried with an old copy of pd-0.37-1 for osx and
there it works by starting pd directly from /bin - something
obviously changed in between.
i would be interested in knowing what's the startup sequence when
double clicking on the app bundle.
(and how one can build the app bundle after all).

thanks,
vb