[PD] pd book sprint

Frank Barknecht fbar at footils.org
Mon Mar 30 19:03:35 CEST 2009

Hallo,
Alexandre Porres hat gesagt: // Alexandre Porres wrote:

> I tried again, and now it works much better than before... so I guess there
> was something wrong before.
>
> Well Claude, it seems it almost works as the [triangle~] object.
>
> Do you guys know about this one? It comes in some external library.

Hm, it's pretty common name for a triangle-wave abstraction. We also have one
included in s_osc.pd which is the standard multiwaveform oscillator for synth
building in rjlib and does sine, tri, pwm-square and saw (the latter two
bandlimited).

> [triangle~] works in a similar fashion, it goes smoothly from inverse
> sawtooth to triangle and the sawtooth depending on the parameter (from 0 to
> 1).
>
> The thing is that Triangle corrects the DC Offset, which could easily be
> done in the expr. But now I may start to sound like an obssessed DC Offset
> maniac.

While the oscillators in s_osc.pd all go from -1 to 1, I don't really see why a
triangle wave should not go from 0-1 as well. This may even be useful in
certain applications. All it takes to convert it is a multiply-add. And isn't
differentiating between ring modulation and amplitude modulation according to
where the DC is old school analog thinking? ;) In Pd I prefer to think just
about multiplications of one signal with another one.

Ciao
--
Frank